Detox Tips You Can Use on a Daily Basis
We often get nutrition and detox questions from patients. Here are detox tips that you can use on a daily basis, not just after the holidays.
- Begin by drinking more water, says Boots nutritionist Vicky Pennington. Your body is 70% water and needs around 6 to 8 glasses per day to help keep it hydrated and help flush out toxins. Sodas, lemonade, iced tea, coffee, etc. don’t count. It must be pure, clean water.
- Reduce the amount of coffee you drink each day. We don’t believe caffeine is bad for you. In fact, you can find research stating that caffeine is good and bad depending on what research study you are reading. Go ahead and enjoy a cup of java in the morning, but definitely don’t go over one cup. Too much can dehydrate you.
- Eat tons of vegetables and whole fruit, especially berries, pears, plums and apples,’ says Nina Omotoso. ‘Avoid fruit juices, though, as this can prevent you from getting big sugar hits and can keep your energy stable.
- Get plenty of healthy fats in your diet like raw nuts, seeds, avocados and coconut oil. Healthy fats make you feel full, satisfied and have more energy.
- Move your body by going for a quick walk around the block at lunch time. High energy workouts are good too, but walking, yoga and pilates have an even more calming and restorative effect on your own body.
One of the ways to be successful at making lifestyle changes is to add one thing at a time to your regimen. If you add to many things at once, your chances of incorporating it into your routine diminishes. Pick one thing, stick with it and reap the rewards later. Ask us how we can help you get healthy and stay healthy.